ORANGE & GINGER MARINATED TOFU SLICES
I learned to make this delicious dish through a friend when living in a meditation centre in Denmark where I'd regularly cook for about 30 people. I loved being queen of the kitchen and am glad to relive that joyful time each time I make this easy tofu recipe. You'll find other very similar ones on the web. Goes great with veg rice. Tip: the fresher/'wetter' the ginger the stronger the flavours. Pre-making the marinade a few hours before will also add to the final result
1. Squeeze the juice out of the oranges BUT leave at least 1 for slicing in half and arranging between the tofu slices (see top left image). Collect the juice in a jug or bowl.
2. Grate the ginger - as much or as little as you like. You can always add more - and drop into the orange juice.
3. Crush the garlic and drop into the juice.
4. Add 3 or 4 generous glugs of olive oil AND tamari to the fresh orange juice, along with salt and pepper.
5. Whizz briefly in a blender, Nutribullet or with a hand blender
6. Now cut the tofu and remaining orange(s) in even slices and arrange neatly in an ovenproof dish (see above for a suggestion)
7. Go back to your juice - is there enough to generously cover the tofu? If not (which is likely) pour in the bottled orange juice. The marinade soon dries up once the dish is cooking, so it's best to add more juice
8. The best bit - taste test the marinade. Does it more of anything?
9. Adjust if need be, then pour the marinade over the tofu until very well covered
9. Pop in the over on a high heat (175C+) for around 40 minutes or until the edges have browned and the dish is 'steaming'.
10. Serve soon. Goes great with homemade veg rice. Just make sure there's plenty of extra juice for finishing up your rice with!